Friday, August 15, 2014

Archery. First things first

I'm really excited to get started with this blog and to start fresh with a new idea to go zero to hero with. So I want to get into Archery and live out a childhood fantasy and shoot like Robin Hood. haha. So First things first.

I don't own a bow...

I don't know anything about bows. Nothing.hmm.  What i do know is that I want a compound bow and that's about it.

So I did what anyone would do. I Googled it. I searched "what is the best compound bow?"

I borrowed this image from
 hunter's friend
The first search result led me to a great website to learn about compound bows. huntersfriend.com/compound. I read this website top to bottom. I got lucky with this site it was a huge help. I recommend anyone who wants to know the basics about compound bows to read this site first!





I learned about things called Whisker Biscuits, Split limbs and Fetching.
Basically what I learned about choosing a bow is these days there is a lot of good bows to choose from and it depends on how much money you want to spend. The "best bow" or Flagship bow from each company is really expensive. So now I'm armed with some great information to set out to buy a bow. Did I mention I don't have the money in the budget to buy the type of bow that I want?  Yeah, I had no idea how much these things cost ($300 to $1800) Buying new isn't really an option. That is the second obstacle I need to over come. To get started I just wanted to get something half ass decent.

I'm going to need sponsors and donations and lots of support to get going on this I'd like some company to "sponsor" me and my idea of becoming a pro archer in 90 days. However I'm not going to wait around for that to magically happen. I'm taking what I have to get started now. (start NOW, no matter where you start it doesn't matter. Just start.)

I checked Craigslist and found a ton of awesome compound bows for sale. I had some problems finding the one that has everything I need to start shooting today, and falls within my budget of $250. I need to come up with more money some how. I slept on it and came up with an idea. The next morning I realized I have nice hand gun that I could trade! I don't ever shoot it and its to large for conceal carry anyways. I did a craigslist search for someone that is interested in a trade. I found some people who where open to idea of trading I sent out 3 emails, and with some luck 1 out of 3 was interested in my trade! I drove down to Denver and everything looked good so I have a bow now. Fells like it was for free since It didn't cost me any money.

First things first:

1. Learn the basics about bows.   Check.
2. Get a bow.                              Check!
3. Learn to shoot...                       Coming soon

Here's my trade.

A Taurus .45 cal which I paid $350 for about 3 years ago. I shot it maybe 3 times in the first year. I really liked it just don't need it right now. This was a great idea on my part.








Here's my New bow.

It's a Redhead xsc-33. It came with everything I needed. A whisker biscuit (arrow rest), sight, release trigger, case, arrows and a $60 target to boot. New this was about a $600 set up(so I'm told). it's a few years old but judging by the arrows and and target it hasn't been used that much at all.






I've got a long ways to go to be where I want to be. But I'm started. In two days and no money I got my first bow. I can't wait for tomorrow and let er rip!

Thanks for reading, don't forget to sign up for email updates and or follow me on google.

Next: Tomorrow, a fun day of shooting...





No comments:

Post a Comment